The site represents a coastal area located north east of Egypt before Arish; it was one of the greatest cities of the area during the Pharaonic dynasties. Pelusium was known during the Coptic period by the name “Barma”. It formed the eastern entrance to Egypt and had a port, overlooking the Nile’s Pelusiac Branch. During the Roman period, the site contained a roman town and a military fort to protect the eastern borders of Egypt. With the spread of Christianity, the city included the biggest assemblage of Coptic churches, the ruins of which are still visible. It also contained the place visited by the Holy Family, which forms a cave built of red bricks with an entrance, an exit, and a main room, built over the place visited by the Holy Family. Pelusium was an important town for the pilgrims between Egypt and Palestine. The Persians invaded the city in 616 AD and destroyed its churches and monasteries.
This site was the cult center of the cat-goddess Bastet, daughter of the God Ra. She was worshiped as goddess of happiness, health, fun, music, and protection of household. After the Holy Family had visited the site, all the statues there were destroyed. Today, the ruins of the temple as well as the water spring of the Holy Family are still visible. In 1789, the water spring was still visible at the site; it was later buried through time, and was rediscovered and re-dug in 1991.
Mostorod is one of the sites visited by the Holy Family. It became sanctified for the existence of the sweet-water spring, from which the Holy Family drank. A church with the name of the Holy Virgin Mary was built at the site, gaining wide fame through the visit of the Holy Family. A celebration is being held at the site throughout the fasting period of the Holy Virgin Mary in August.